Saturday, August 25, 2012

so i'd like to tell you a little story....

(as per request).....

 My tale of becoming a DJ.


 Ohh that's my logo. Oh I'm fancy, huh? Oh maybe...Jazzy, huh?


Warning: this tale contains an untrackable amount of hard work, dedication, blood (?), sweat, tears, headaches, heartaches, and love. Unconditional love.

Ill try to make this the short version. No guarantees. 

One night, a looooonggg time ago, I was on Facebook chat with a my dear friend of mine, Rachael, discussing how to up my hip-hop quotient. (enter jokes here..) I had just moved to Burlington, woohoo! and I needed to find a niche. We had been going out a lot (helloooo ladies nights !!) and I loved the scene. Then again what 24 year-old newly single girl wouldn't?? We were gabbing about how much I loved sneakers and WHAM! just like that I said "Well I'd be the flyest girl dj with high top Nike's on rockin the clubs" (or something to that extent ....cant really remember but it DID involve Nike's and Deejaying).

Right at the instant,  I left our convo and headed over to "The Lab's" website (The Lab was a Dj and music production school on Church St. run by two amazing men that I forever owe my life too), called the phone number and another WHAM! Lessons were scheduled! Just like that!

I never knew really what I was getting into. I knew I loved music. I knew I wanted to be part of the "scene". I knew I needed to find a hobby. And man those Deejays make it look SO easy! So I signed up.

 To make a seriously LONG story short, fast forward 2 years. Two years of numerous classes with my beloved teacher Zj , numerous practices, numerous begging of other Deejays to help me/teach me/let me practice on their equipment, numerous nights out watching each DJ and their style, trying to find my own. I made hordes of deejay friends, each one of us trying to live our dream. We would live in The Lab all weekend. Wanting to make sure we made our teachers happy with our progress at our next lesson. It was my life. Ask anyone.

             ( Big Rye, Zj and I before a prom)


We had classes, practices, recitals, guest DJ visits. We had Church Street events, clothing store events. We had beat making classes so we could Deejay our own music. We did anything and everything that we could. This was the time.

 But we still couldn't have our own gigs. We weren't ready. We practiced on vinyl, to prove ourselves. No using of computer equipment until AFTER you graduate and were worthy we were told time and time again. Talk about them apples. Old school style.

One day, while walking about the Church Street Marketplace (this will sound familiar), I stumbled into Zinnia's to look at all the pretty jewels. Something caught my eye. A wish necklace? Hmm...I could use a wish or two. So I bought it. It was so pretty. Had the cutest little wishbone hanging from a black string. I made my wish, placed it around my neck, and went about my day.

         (my big bro and I before my dads wedding)



The  necklace over time, turned into a bracelet due to poor managing of the little string, and I wore it for about a year, day in and day out. You can see it nicely in the above picture.

Fast forward again. I had just finished a lesson at The Lab, and was getting into my car when my phone rang. It was ZJ. Weird, I thought, I had just left him.

 "Janet", he says, "I have GREAT news for you!!!!" "Rj's (a local bar) called and they want to do a trial run for a weekly DJ night with Lab kids, and since you and PWYLD (Patrick Wyld, my DJ partner), are over 21, you guys got the spot!!!!"

 I stood there unable to move. What! Wait! Did I just get a gig??!!! Wait. What. How did that happen?! Am I even good?! HOLY S$%$^$^*$*$*!!!!  I screamed! I jumped! I screamed again. He went on to tell me the details...but to be honest I don't really remember, I don't even know if I was listening. I just knew I GOT A GIG!!!!!!!

Phew. Ok. Calm down. I had to get Rachael (yes, the same one from before, ironic), I was house sitting and had to get back. So I drove to pick her up and of course the minute she got into my car I screamed the entire story to her! This was monumental! The best news of my life! I just couldn't contain myself.


____________________________

I still remember the exact moment I realized my bracelet was gone.

We were at an intersection getting on the highway chatting and carrying on about my new-soon -to -be famousness, and in an instant I had remembered that one day, a long time ago, I had made a wish. A wish that would mean more than anything if it ever came true.  A wish to become a DJ, and DJ (once and for all) outside of the Lab.

 I looked down. It was gone. I drew a deep breath. Ok, it HAD to be here somewhere, nope. not in the car. not in the house. not in my sweater. gone. We looked everywhere. gone. A tear fell and said a prayer.

____________________________
I still get goosebumps telling this story. I never found that bracelet. I didn't always believe in fate, or god, or crazy things, but after that moment, I did. Things happen for a reason. Yes, I worked my tail off for that gig. Yes, I spent roughly 1000 hours in that one room learning. Yes, you can say what you want. But that wish came true. My bracelet was gone. Facts are facts. Jazzy Janet was born. The rest is history as they say, and...photos! Welcome to my journey!

Thanks again to all my friends and family that have supported me, gone to everyone of my gigs, and held my hand :) Much love and respect. xoxooxox


1 comment:

  1. What a great story! Thanks for sharing it, Janet. It must have been a massive amount of work--and passion.
    The longer version would make a great short story.

    ReplyDelete